The Club’s early history dates back to July 1951 with Chairman, Jack Stoner proposing the formation of a Bowling Club in this district. Frank Hayes, who was later to become President of the Club and its first life member, proposed that the club acquire a portion of Crown Land in Windsor Road, Northmead.
It took 3 long years of negotiation but finally in 1954 the land (12 acres with a frontage of 600ft to Windsor Road) was granted as the site for a bowling green and recreation area.
Another important step forward that same year was made with the club being granted affiliation with the Royal N.S.W. Bowling Association.
Membership was restricted to only 120 members in those early days and fees were set at Four Guineas per annum of which 25% to be called on immediately.
The No.1 green was finally completed and after a short “run in” period it was officially opened by the RNSWBA President W S (Bill) Kay on the 5th January 1957 and John Stoner, the Club Vice President was there to roll the first official Northmead bowl.
As a reward for their efforts in looking after the men in those early building days, the Ladies Auxiliary of the Northmead Bowling and Recreation Club was invited to form a Women’s Bowling Club. There were nine ladies at the inaugural meeting and it was agreed that only the wives of the Men’s Club could join and they also had to be working members of the Auxiliary.
Membership grew steadily and the need for more players soon made more green space necessary. By 1960 a new club-house was in the planning stage and by 1962 we had a brand new club-house and 2 extra bowling greens. No.2 green was completed only two years after the first and again RNSWBA President Bill Kay officiated at the opening.
The next major alterations were undertaken in 1996/97 to improve the internal atmosphere of the Club and also to improve the appearance of the front of the clubhouse which can be seen in the following photo.
By the end of the 1999 season the club was due for a further refurbishment and these renovations included a new auditorium, TAB, sports bar and bistro. Later renovations resulted in outdoor gaming and a new verandah surrounding the western side of the clubhouse.
The club has been well served by many good people. From those early visionaries who saw an opportunity to build a great bowls club in Northmead. On the bowling green’s we’ve had huge success with both men and ladies teams representing the club at the highest level.
It’s now 2014 and another major facelift has been approved with a complete internal and external refurbishment program underway.
We’re also now a bowling, recreation and sporting club and we’ve evolved to be a great community club, engaged with our members and the wider community.
Next time you wander down Windsor Road Northmead, call in and say hello…. you won’t be disappointed.